Getting Your Driver’s License Back In Your Hands

Losing your driver’s license after a charge of driving under the influence (DUI) can harm your life. It makes it more difficult to get to your job, visit your friends and family, and run important errands. In some situations, you can get your driver’s license reinstated — but you will need the help of an attorney.

You can rely on Skinner Law Office. For more than 25 years, attorney Matt Skinner has provided aggressive yet compassionate criminal defense for the people of Rapid City and the surrounding communities. If you live in the Black Hills region and need to get your driver’s license back, he can assist you.

For a free consultation, call Skinner Law Office at 605-519-5600 or complete our contact form.

How Do I Get My License Reinstated?

In South Dakota, you have up to 10 days from the date of your DUI arrest to contest the suspension of your license. This is an outline of the process for getting your license reinstated:

  • Submit an administrative hearing request with the Department of Transportation
  • Receive a date for your court hearing within 30 days of submitting your request
  • Attend the administrative hearing with your defense lawyer
  • Receive a decision from the judge

Generally, judges will only reinstate a license if you can demonstrate that there was a violation of your civil rights, an error in protocol during your arrest or that losing your license would cause undue hardship for you. If the judge agrees to reinstate your license, you must pay a reinstatement fee of $100. If you miss the 10-day deadline, you forfeit the right to contest your license suspension.

IMPORTANT: Contact Skinner Law Office as soon as possible after a DUI arrest. We can handle the driver’s license side of your case, as well as the DUI charge.

Talk To A Lawyer About Protecting Your Driving Privileges

Learn more about your options for getting your driver’s license back. Contact Skinner Law Office, P.C., today. To schedule your free initial consultation, please call 605-519-5600 or send Matt an email.